If you’re anything like us, you’ll be spending January trying to get back on the health train (all aboard!) after a few weeks of eating lots and not doing much exercise. As well as generally looking after yourself, it’s a great time of year to introduce healthy new habits and see what works for you.
Kickboxing classes and kale might be just what your friend needs, but for you, it might be more about yoga, long walks and drinking more water. But if you’re concerned that you don’t have time to plan a healthy new regime, we have good news for you – there are lots of quick things that you can do, even if you’re up to your eyes in nappies, deadlines or kids’ homework.
Here are five of our favourites…
1. Love your morning coffee but can’t kick the sugar in it? Try a spoonful of cinnamon in it, instead. It’s tasty and so much better for you!
2. Do a YouTube workout. Whether you have a fancy internet-enabled TV or you prop up your iPad in front of you, check out the array of workouts on YouTube. Our favourites are BeFit and BodyRock. Easy to squeeze in before your baby wakes up, or after the school run!
3. Want to get better quality sleep? Take a warm shower before bed. Coming out of a warm shower and into a cooler bedroom will cause a slight decrease in body temperature, a drop that scientifically helps trigger a tranquil, drowsy feeling by slowing down essential metabolic activities.
4. Bag and freeze smoothie ingredients each Sunday, and then all you have to do each morning is grab a bag, stick it in your blender and go!
5. Plan your family’s meals. Sounds dull, we know, but planning healthy meals and then shopping for it all (online is easy peasy!) means you never have to rely on chicken nuggets and chips because you’ve got nothing in.
Do you have any health hacks you’d add to this list?